Footballer Beat Referee To Death For giving Him A Red Card

Jose Valdemar Hernandez Capetillo, a referee has died in hospital in Mexico after being attacked by a player he red-carded during a match.

According to a report by The Sun News, Jose Valdemar Hernandez Capetillo lost his fight for life after spending a week in a coma.

He was rushed unconscious to hospital in Xalapa, the capital city of the eastern Mexico State of Veracruz, on December 24 after being assaulted by a player from amateur side Guadalajara during a match in the city’s PEMEX – El Castillo stadium.


He died in the early hours of yesterday.

Valentin Ramirez, president of professional referees’ association AMA, said in a statement:  “Jose Valdemar Hernandez Capetillo, a part-time referee, died in the early hours of yesterday morning as a result of an acute traumatic brain injury he suffered during an assault by a player in the Pemex stadium in Xalapa, Veracruz.

Action is now being taken to ensure justice is done following the death of our colleague.

We have to eradicate incidents of this kind. Rest in peace Jose Valdemar Hernandez Capetillo.”

The player, identified only by the name Milton, is believed to be in custody after being arrested although there was no official word on his whereabouts today.

Last month an amateur football match in Fresnillo, the second largest city in the north central Mexican state of Zacatecas, ended in a chilling execution when a violent fan was shot in the head from close range by an opposition supporter after a fist fight.

The murdered man slumped to the ground after being shot as he tried to stone players celebrating their win over his side in a confrontation which erupted minutes after the final whistle.

The gunman – alongside a pal also carrying a gun – then walked up to him as he lay injured in the dirt and fired off another three shots from close range in front of several young children.

One of the boys who witnessed the scene – acting as if he was no stranger to violence that youngsters in most Western European countries thankfully never have to see – was filmed skipping away after the murder as if he was in his school playground.

In November last year a referee died in Tulancingo in the Mexican state of Hidalgo died after being head-butted by a player he red-carded.

The player fled the scene in a pick-p truck amid chaotic scenes as the ref was receiving medical attention.

 1,340 total views,  2 views today